Our Daughter Would Rather Work Somewhere Else Than at Our Family Business
Many of us have likely faced a choice in life: to get a job that brings you pleasure or one that is considered promising in society. And, as it often happens, parents play a big role in this choice, often pushing their kids toward the more promising, high-paying professions.
Hi, Olivia! We’re glad that you shared your story with us. Your situation is challenging, but we believe it can be resolved. We at Bright Side discussed it for hours, and here’s what we came up with.
- Have a serious talk with your daughter. Calmly explain to her your opinion and how much you worry about her future. But also try to understand your daughter’s position. She wouldn’t be happy with a job she’s bored of.
- Don’t realize your own ambitions through your child. Your child is not you. You may have built a successful career for yourself, but it doesn’t mean that your child should follow the same path. She grew up in a different time and has developed different values that make life worthwhile.
- Help her identify her strengths. As a parent, you instinctively know your child and what areas she excels in. You can also go to a session with a career counselor. The specialist can look at the situation as an outside observer. Your daughter may discover career options she had never considered before or didn’t know existed.
- Be a role model for your daughter. If a child lives with parents who are passionate about their careers, they are more likely to grow up believing they can also enjoy a successful career.
- Help her to think about planning for the future. Most goals require some planning, and to succeed in a dream, it must become a goal. So a clear plan of action will help.
- Let your daughter know you are interested in her dreams and goals. Your support will encourage her to value dreams and goals and realize that they are worthy of achievement.
What would you advise your child to do in such a situation? Have you ever been in a predicament where you had to choose a dream or a stable job? Please tell us your stories in the comments!