50+ Truth Bombs to Drop at Your Next Dinner Party
If you’re looking to fill your brain with amazing facts to impress your friends, you’ve come to the right place. Dropping these truth bombs will turn anyone into an expert at the dinner table and be the start of an entertaining conversation. No scientific degree required.
Bright Side is bringing you along on a journey of 50+ truths guaranteed to surprise your future dinner party guests.
1. Over 100 people have been cryofrozen in hopes that one day they can be revived through new technology.
2. We have lines on our skin that are only visible under certain lights.
3. A man suffered from hiccups for 69 years.
4. The reason why pool tables are green is because the game was first played outside on grass.
5. The concept of rap battles has existed since the 5th century.
6. In Japan, crooked teeth are considered cute.
7. It takes more calories to eat celery than celery has in it to begin with.
8. Our eyebrows renew themselves every 64 days.
9. Tomatoes have more genes than human beings.
10. Most lipsticks contain fish scales.
11. When a person is lying the temperature of their nose increases.
12. The sentence “go” is the shortest English sentence.
13. The sunflower absorbs both radiation and pollution with its leaves and stem.
14. Shakespeare was the first to replace “you” with “u.”
15. In advertisements, the time displayed on a watch is always 10:10.
16. Steve Jobs is said to have relieved stress by putting his feet in the company’s toilets.
17. Over 50% of the world’s naturally formed lakes are found in Canada.
18. Termites could be a future source of renewable energy.
19. There are 100 folds in a chef’s hat, which represent the 100 ways to cook an egg.
20. Pluto is smaller than Russia in size.
21. A pizza with 30% of our daily nutrients was designed in Scotland.
22. 2 hours of silence per day can enhance learning and memory.
23. Antarctica does not have its own time zone, but each research facility has their own local time.
24. Polar bear fur is not white, but clear, and only looks white because it reflects light.
25. Honey never spoils.
26. It’s not chlorine, but urine, that irritates your eye while swimming.
27. Mexico has the highest consumption of Coca-Cola per capita in the world.
28. Soccer players run an average of 11 km per game.
29. We are all living 8 milliseconds in the past, because that’s the time our brain needs to process information.
30. The holes at the top of pen caps are there to prevent you from choking if you swallow one.
31. There is more protein in a pound of houseflies than there is in a pound of beef.
32. There is a chimpanzee that knows how to cook, play an instrument, and use a computer.
33. Growing a beard has great health benefits. It protects you from the sun, can prevent asthma attacks, and even slows down aging.
34. Marshmallows were first sold as cough medicine.
35. Every year hundreds of trees are planted by squirrels that forgot where they buried their food.
36. The smaller pocket inside of your jean pocket is meant for a pocket watch.
37. Queen Elizabeth II does not have or need a passport.
38. Blue eyes are the result of a mutation that happened 6000-10,000 years ago, prior to which everyone had brown eyes.
39. Most dust particles in our homes are actually dead skin.
40. Taxis are yellow because yellow is the easiest color to spot from a distance.
41. The Sahara desert could turn green this century due to climate change.
42. There is a Coca-Cola that is actually colorless, it’s called Coca-Cola Clear.
43. The manchineel tree is so poisonous that even touching the rainwater dripping from it can burn your skin.
44. Cauliflowers make a sound as they grow.
45. Soap operas got their name because at first they were sponsored by soap companies who were marketing to housewives.
46. There is a type of jellyfish that is biologically immortal.
47. Hot water weighs more than cold water.
48. In zero gravity, a candle’s flame is round and blue.
49. The church La Sagrada Familia, in Barcelona, has been in construction since 1882 and will not be finished until 2026.
50. If a sumo wrestler makes a baby cry, it is considered good luck in Japan.
51. There is a star named Lucy, the core of which is most likely made entirely of diamonds.
52. Before Peter Pan was first published, the name Wendy didn’t exist.
53. An octopus has 9 brains and blue blood.
Which of these truth bombs surprised you the most? Share your thoughts in the comments!
Illustrated by Daniil Shubin for BrightSide.me