13 Movie Scenes That Were Affected by Art, and We Are in Awe
Life isn’t the only thing that imitates art — so does art itself! On extraordinary occasions, some filmmakers decide to honor famous paintings by recreating them in movie scenes. Whether it’s through the set, costumes, color palette or the actors’ performances, these shots become works of art as well.
Bright Side put together this list so you too can contemplate these wonderful efforts of bringing paintings to life. They’re very rare, so enjoy!
1. Dunkirk (2017) and Wanderer above the Sea of Fog (1818)
2. Shutter Island (2010) and The Kiss (1907–1908)
3. Psycho (1960) and House by the Railroad (1925)
4. Moonlight (2016) and La robe du soir (1954)
5. Inception (2010) and Ascending and Descending (1960)
6. Django Unchained (2012) and The Blue Boy (1770)
7. Inherent Vice (2014) and The Last Supper (1495–1498)
8. Melancholia (2011) and Ophelia (1851–1852)
9. Marie Antoinette (2006) and Napoleon Crossing the Alps (1801)
10. Frida (2002) and Frida and Diego Rivera (1931)
11. Forrest Gump (1994) and Christina’s World (1948)
12. The Thomas Crown Affair (1999) and The Son of Man (1964)
13. Girl with a Pearl Earring (2003) and Girl with a Pearl Earring (1665)
Would you like to see more art references in film? What painting would you like to see represented in movies? We’ll be waiting to hear from you in the comments!