14 Facts About “The Big Bang Theory” Even the Most Devoted Fans May Not Know About
It’s hard to believe that the first episodes of The Big Bang Theory were released in the now distant year of 2007. Since then we’ve watched 279 episodes of this TV show which follows the lives of 4 physicists. The final episode of the 12th and last season was released on May 16th, 2019 and that’s when the show ended for good.
To pay tribute to the amazing TBBT, Bright Side put together 14 little-known facts about this super popular TV show that is loved by so many.
- When Leonard meets Penny in the pilot episode and when Penny agrees to go out with him in episode 100 named “The Recombination Hypothesis”, she wears the same shirt!
- Laurie Metcalf, who plays the part of Sheldon’s mother in TBBT, is also the mother of Zoe Perry, who portrays the mother of young Sheldon in Young Sheldon the TV series.
- Jim Parsons can really play the theremin, Sheldon’s favorite musical instrument. And it’s quite surprising because this instrument, which was invented in 1920 and named after the Westernized name of its Soviet inventor, Léon Theremin, is one of the most difficult to play. By the way, Johnny Galecki can play the cello, Mayim Bialik, the harp, and Simon Helberg, the piano.
- Initially, this TV series was supposed to be called Penny, Lenny, and Kenny.
- There is a theory among TBBT fans that Sheldon’s T-shirt color stood for a certain emotion of his: the red color meant anger, purple meant love and passion, green meant calmness and confidence, yellow meant fear, blue meant pity, light blue meant hope, and the orange color stood for greed.
- The words to the famous lullaby Soft Kitty were written by an Australian teacher named Edith Newlin in the 1930s. Her daughters filed a lawsuit against the various companies associated with The Big Bang Theory for violating the copyright laws. However, it was dropped by the judge who took on the case.
- Leonard’s glasses don’t have lenses in them. According to Johnny Galecki, since Jim Parsons was much taller than him, he had to always look up. The light from the projectors reflected off his glasses and created a glare.
- Sheldon and Leonard’s characters were named after actor and producer Sheldon Leonard.
- Throughout many episodes, Penny appears with the same bag. But even when it changes, it looks almost the same as the previous one — it’s also made of brown leather and has an identical shape.
- In the unaired pilot of The Big Bang Theory, Wolowitz and Koothrappali didn’t exist, while Penny and Leslie Winkle’s parts were portrayed by other actresses. In addition to that, Penny’s name was Katie then.
- The names of all the episodes of the sitcom are the names of real scientific principles, theories, and experiments, except for the pilot which was just called, Pilot.
- Sheldon wears a T-shirt with one of his favorite superheroes on it, The Flash, while the character of Cisco Ramon in The Flash TV series wears a T-shirt referring to The Big Bang Theory.
- The house where Sheldon and Leonard live has only one staircase and one landing. Every time the characters took the stairs to their floor, the shooting crew just changed the look of the doors.
- At the end of each episode, scriptwriter Chuck Lorre shows so-called vanity cards in which he makes jokes, shares his thoughts, and even speaks to the audience directly.
Do you miss your favorite TBBT characters? Tell us in the comments below.