15+ Beyond-Weird Facts About Our Bodies That Can Make Your Head Spin
The Human body is unique in many ways. It is a complex system that performs millions of chemical reactions every second while maintaining its environment. For starters, our stomach acid is roughly equivalent to battery acid, which can dissolve steel. This point is one of the many facts about us that are so strange, unique, and mind-boggling that they might leave us scratching our heads or wondering if we’re reading right.
The Bright Side team has compiled a list of some of the weirdest things about our bodies, as well as some facts that will blow your mind.
- Humans have the same number of body hairs as chimpanzees.
- Kids have more taste buds than adults.
- Babies are sometimes born with a fully formed tooth inside their gums.
- A healthy human skin weighs approximately 10 pounds, making it the heaviest organ of the body.
- Babies cry in the womb. However, they do it without making any sound.
- Holding in a sneeze can damage one’s hearing.
- Fingerprints are formed before birth.
- The nails grow faster on the dominant hand.
- Sleeping burns fewer calories than watching TV.
- Every second, over 2 million red blood cells in an adult human body die.
- About 98% of the atoms in the human body are renewed each year.
- Like fingerprints, tooth prints are unique to each person.
- The left lung is smaller than the right lung to make room for your heart.
- The mouth produces an average of more than 21,000 quarts of saliva in a lifetime, enough to fill more than 50 bathtubs to the brim.
- Every hour, 30,000 — 40,000 skin cells fall from our bodies. In 24 hours, this means almost a million skin cells. Over a year, this means more than 8 pounds.
- Tears are composed of 3 layers — an inner mucus layer, a watery middle layer, and an outer oily layer.
Which facts about the human body impressed you the most? Let us know in the comments!