Why It’s Totally Okay If Your Mom Isn’t Your Best Friend

Family & kids
2 years ago

We’ve been told that one’s mother is their closest ally —after all, they gave birth to us and raised us. So it’s no surprise that we all have a reason to appreciate and respect them. But at the same time, it doesn’t mean that we have to become best friends with them. That’s because despite your blood relation to each other, you and your mother are completely different people.

Bright Side gathered evidence that explains why this is really so, and we’re eager to discuss it with you.

Our teachers taught us different things.

While studying in school, we attended classes for at least 1,000 hours per year. Such long contact with teachers has led psychologists to strongly believe that they have a tremendous impact on our thoughts in the future. Both you and your mother have had different teachers, and each of them looked at the world in their own way. They taught us different things and shaped us in different ways.

We have our own stories of friendship.

Modern experts support the idea that our friends also have a great influence on us. Even ordinary communication with them can change the way we feel, think, and behave. This is the second reason why we and our mothers are different people. Maybe our views were similar enough to make us best friends but the people around us have changed that.

We grew up in a new epoch.

The world has changed a lot over the past few decades. Today we have new views on lifestyle, relationships, work, and friendship. At the same time, specialists say that for the older generation it’s difficult to adapt to changes. After reaching the so-called critical point, people tend to not want to learn something new and rely on the experiences they already had. Because of this, it may be difficult for our moms to understand us.

We are just different people!

It’s been said that all humans are 99.9% identical with one another and that the remaining 0.1% is what makes each and every one unique. And while that might seem very small, in reality, it is very significant. That’s why we often have so many differences, even with our parents with whom we share parts of the same DNA.

Is your mother your best friend? Please share the secret of having good relationships between children and their parents.

Please note: This article was updated in March 2022 to correct source material and factual inaccuracies.


Get notifications
Lucky you! This thread is empty,
which means you've got dibs on the first comment.
Go for it!

Related Reads