8 Common Plants That We’d Better Avoid

We all love to make our homes look and smell nice, and this is when we turn to plants. They can add a pop of color and brighten up a room. But some plants that may seem harmless may, in fact, be toxic or poisonous.

Bright Side has come up with a list of plants that make us think twice before decorating our homes with them.

1. Holly berries

Holly is associated with Christmas and is used to decorate wreaths. But the berries contain a toxin called saponin. If large amounts are ingested, it can cause nausea, stomach cramps, and vomiting.

2. Lily of the Valley

This plant has a sweet smell, but all parts of the flower are toxic. The Lily of the Valley can be extremely dangerous since it has a toxin that irritates the gastrointestinal tract and disrupts the heart of dogs, cats, and horses. It can be fatal to small animals.

3. Foxglove

Parts of this plant are used in various medicines. It contains a drug that is used to treat heart failure. However, it is unsafe to use or ingest as self-medicine. Foxglove can cause irregular heart function and may be fatal. It can also cause blurred vision, stomach pain, vomiting, dizziness, and an abnormal heartbeat.

4. Mistletoe

These plants may make our homes feel more Christmassy, but if the plant or berries are ingested, they can cause serious problems, including stomach pain, diarrhea, and vomiting.

5. Wisteria

All parts of the plant are considered toxic, but the pods and seeds are even more so. Consuming just 2 of the seeds can cause serious illness. The symptoms include oral burning, stomach pain, and vomiting, as well as confusion, loss of consciousness, vertigo, and weakness.

6. Jerusalem cherries

The entire plant is poisonous, but the small red and orange fruit is highly potent. The poison affects the gastrointestinal and central nervous systems. The symptoms include delirium, hallucinations, shock, paralysis, headaches, and slow breathing.

7. White snakeroot

This plant can cause muscle weakness and tremors. Animals grazing on this plant can transfer the toxic effects through their meat and milk. If humans drink the milk of an animal that has eaten this plant, they may also experience symptoms.

8. Rhododendron and azaleas

These plants are toxic to pets and can affect their heart and muscles. The symptoms include excessive drooling, weakness, reduced appetite, and vomiting.

Do you have any of these plants? What’s your favorite plant?

Got some cool photos or stories and want to be featured on Bright Side? Send them all right HERE and right now. Meanwhile, we’re waiting!

Share This Article