9 Ways to Soothe Aching Feet If You’ve Been Too Hard on Them
Let’s face it, most of us have feet that could use some extra attention. We don’t moisturize them enough. We wear too tight shoes one day and too big sneakers the next day. We stand for hours daily. And we get hard to remove calluses, stinky odors, and painful blisters in return. It’s time to give your feet a sweet relief.
If you don’t know where to start, Bright Side has got your back. Check out these top 9 products that will transform your feet making them smooth, fresh, and soft.
1. A wooden roller to release tension and give your feet sweet relief. It will not only massage away your pain and stimulate blood circulation but will help you de-stress in the comfort of your own home. Also, it can be a great companion while you’re working. Place it under your desk and keep your feet and legs active even when you’re sitting.
The roller comes with detailed instructions and a foot reflexology chart. By the way, the acupressure practice is almost 2,000 years old, and the experience of many people proves it may help with different problems. For example, you can pair up your foot massage with the following technique to lift your spirits after a busy day:
For a couple of minutes rub your forehead from the center to the ends of your brow when you wake up. In the afternoons, run your fingers from the bridge of your nose to your chin. And make circular motions just below your temples near your ears before you go to sleep.
Promising review: This gizmo is amazing. I spend quite a lot of my 12-hour shift on my feet. In addition to that, I have plantar fasciitis in my left foot, which at times can be very painful.
Rolling my aching feet on this foot massager is heaven. It took a bit of getting used to, but now I wouldn’t be without it. It may sound bizarre, but I keep it by the bed because all plantar fasciitis sufferers will testify to the fact that when you get out of bed and stand, it can be agony... about 90 seconds of rolling my feet on this, and I’m good to go. Honestly, it’s been worth every penny. @Jane
Buy the massager on Amazon HERE
2. This foot odor spray will help you after intense workouts or if you have sweaty feet and hate taking shoes off at people’s houses because they start fainting right away. Thanks to a natural mix of essential oils of eucalyptus, lemon, tea tree, and peppermint, it’ll free your toes and heels from nasty smells and give you fresh freedom.
Apart from helping your feet, this spray may fight unwanted smells in your kitchen, garbage can, or bathroom!
Promising review: I have sweaty feet no matter the season and have to wash my sneakers very often. I thought I’d give it a try. Holy moly does it work! I sprayed 3-5 times in each shoe and left it overnight. The smell was woodsy but nothing overpowering, which is good bc my husband is scent sensitive. I can wear the sneakers for about a week before they need another spray. The bonus is the smell doesn’t run off on your socks. If you have sweaty feet and hate taking shoes off at people’s houses, BUY THIS!!!!! @MRTR
Buy the spray on Amazon HERE
3. This anti-fatigue mat is a game changer for anybody with a standing desk or who spends a ton of time in the same spot. Reviewers claim that it’s like standing on clouds and add that you’d be amazed how tired and horrible your feet can feel standing in the same place on a normal carpet after using this mat.
This mat relieves pressure on your spine, reduces lower back pain, and de-stresses your knees, joints, and muscles. It’s surely made of marshmallows, sunshine, and candy floss clouds, which will make you feel lighter on your feet and more energized to work.
However, some members of your family may find it pretty fatiguing:
Promising review: Good news! I used it for one day and needed to buy a second one. For my L desk. I can definitely stand for longer periods of time. I could barely handle standing for more than 10-15 minutes at my desk. Now, time flies by, and I don’t realize I’ve been standing through my whole shift. Great to stand on! Great to just have it under your desk to rest your feet. Highly recommend! @Amazon Customer
Buy the mat on Amazon HERE
4. This set of massage balls will officially replace your partner, whom you constantly beg to reach the most painful points of your body after a long work shift. Simply lean on them and use your own body weight and gravity to relieve muscle knots and tension in any part of your body.
Here is an easy massage technique that will help you relax and train the balls of your feet if it’s your sore spot:
- Get the massage balls
- Sit on a chair
- Place your foot on the ball and step on it
- Slowly push the ball with your foot toward the toes and then backward
Promising review: These massage balls have changed my life. Excellent for getting knots out of my whole body. I suffered from lower back pain, but no more. I use the balls to work out and loosen muscles in my butt, and I get a tremendous release in my lower back and pain down my legs. I highly recommend. @simidv
Buy the set of massage balls on Amazon HERE
5. An elevation pillow that is ideal for those who want to kick out pregnancy discomfort, bruising and swelling, and post-surgery pain of their life. You can also use it as a head pillow or lap desk as well as to lay upright.
- Your legs should be above the level of your heart.
- Your feet and calves should be slightly above the level of your thighs, not below them.
- Don’t twist your back or neck. Once you’re lying down, you should be able to mentally draw a straight line from the top of your head to your tailbone.
Promising review: This pillow has relieved me of my restless leg syndrome and aching legs! As soon as I prop my legs on it, I get immediate relief. After a day full of walking, this helps reduce swelling in my feet also. It’s a must-have if you suffer from discomfort in your legs! @Hannahxgx
Buy the pillow on Amazon HERE
6. An anti-blister balm that will get you ready for that “Oh my, I can’t live without them” new pair of shoes, save you from oozing blisters and raw skin after wearing that stylish but way too tight pair of sandals or sneakers, and keep your feet healthy and pain-free in any demanding conditions.
How to use it: Apply before you put on your shoes. Rub it in well and let it dry for 1-2 minutes. This way, it won’t mess up your socks.
Promising review: I’ve suffered from blisters on one toe for over 20 years. I’ve tried recommendations from two podiatrists but, until now, the best I could find was to use smooth, thin plasters on that toe and the one next to it. That didn’t cure the problem, but it did reduce the size of the blisters. I read the reviews of this balm, so I tried it. It worked on two local 11-mile walks, so I then relied on it for a week of walking in the Pennines. There were absolutely no blisters despite still having some of the hard, rough skin from the previous ones.
I’ve now been able to file down most of the hard skin from the old blisters and I don’t get any more as long as I use this. It’s totally non-greasy, so it doesn’t rub off on my socks and does last all day. @b0xx
Buy the balm on Amazon HERE
7. You can wear these orthotic arch support shoe insoles every day to any place in almost any footwear, still putting your comfort first place. They’re ideal for long-standing work, sports, and walking. If you notice that one side of your shoes gets worn too quickly compared to the other side, or if you suffer from foot pain, these insoles are just what you need.
How to use it:
Step 1: Take your old insoles out.
Step 2: Place the insoles into your shoe to test the size. If needed, trim the insoles. Use your old insoles to choose the size.
Step 3: Ensure that the new insoles lie flat against the bottom of your shoe. If they don’t fit, continue to trim as needed.
Replace insoles every 6–12 months.
Promising review: It relieved a lot of pain for me. In certain shoes, it is a bit awkward, but that’s because of how they made the shoe and the lack of support. But yeah, it’s brilliant. I will definitely be buying more. I can do my day job without my feet/ankles hurting after an hour or so. I must admit that after I work long hours, my legs kill me and there is a lot of strain on them, so I rest them for a day and a half. But yeah, best purchase I have ever made. These insoles have really helped me out. Thank you to the genius who thought of the idea of making them in the first place. @Mary
Buy the insoles on Amazon HERE
8. The invisible heel grips to stick to your new or old shoes that are so stylish and jaw-dropping but *sobbing sounds* too big and too painful to wear. They’ll work great for high heels, flats, plumps, and boots, making you wear them again and again and forget about blisters, raw skin, and calluses.
Here is a life hack for a situation when the adhesive loses its tackiness. Wash the grips in warm and soapy water, let them dry, and use them again. Do not dry them in the sun!
Promising review: First I have to say I have a disability. One foot is a size smaller than the other, and it’s not always feasible to buy 2 pairs of shoes. Depending on the shoe, I can use thick & thin insoles to build them up, but there is still space at my heel. I used a couple of heel grips, which, after wearing, curl up or come away from the shoe.
Until now, these grips have been great. With the design of the grips having a joined part where your heel sits on, along with the strong clue, they don’t move. I found them easy to put in place and they are great value for money. They have stopped my foot from slipping out of my shoe, which has given me the confidence to start wearing my summer shoes out walking. I will be buying more to do all my shoes, even the lace-up ones, as they are much more comfortable with the grips in. Great value for money. @Jo Ramsden
Buy the grips on Amazon HERE
9. Moisturizing toe socks with aloe vera and shea butter that’ll get you back to times of baby-soft feet. They’re machine-washable and reusable: you can wear them up to three times a week to avoid a situation when they finally crack.
How they work:
They have special gel on the insides! As it comes in contact with your skin, the warmth of your feet activates the release of the therapeutic oils and vitamins.
The socks can be hand washed in lukewarm water with mild soap. Do not bleach them and air dry completely before reuse. You can sprinkle them with talcum powder to keep the smooth feel of the gel.
Pro tip: For even better results, use the socks with your favorite lotion or cream.
Promising review: When you have had dry, sometimes sore, or cracked skin on your feet for a long time, you have probably tried all sorts of recommended remedies/cures.
I decided to try these and, after the initial oddity of having each toe isolated in the socks, I quickly grew to love them. Within an hour of having them on, my feet were no longer sore and were definitely softer.
I realise this is only after one short period of wearing, but they felt good, were no hassle and for me, that’s what I wanted.
I have ordered a spare second pair, so while these are drying after the recommended hand wash, I can still have a pair to wear.
Hopefully, I have found a solution to a long-time problem. ;) @MH
Buy the socks on Amazon HERE
What footwear do you prefer? How many steps do you make per day?
Bright Side gets commissions for purchases made through links in this post.