18 Kitchen Workers Told Us What It’s Really Like to Work in a Restaurant
Behind the amazing food we eat in restaurants, there’s a great team of people that make it all happen. And of course, that means there are stories from the chefs and the whole staff who are in charge of making these amazing dishes that we all love. What goes on inside the kitchen is something that only some dare to reveal, but we can tell you for sure, their stories are full of interesting experiences.
Bright Side really admires all the people who dedicate their days to making life much richer and tastier! So here’s our compilation to honor these kitchen professionals and for you to take a sneak peek inside a restaurant kitchen!
1. “When you open after the owner closes.”
2. “Closed at 10, and then this happens...”
3. “Chef cut himself so badly yesterday that he had to go to the hospital and take the day off. We set up his station this morning with his safety in mind.”
4. “It’s not much, but it’s ours. After years of working for others, we finally have our own kitchen/business. Here’s to the rest of our lives!”
5. “Everyone pitched in to buy a nice knife for him. He always gives it his all and is the sweetest person!”
6. “Always remember where you came from. 9 years ago on my first day in the kitchen as a dishwasher vs Where I am today. Never underestimate yourself.”
“Chef Zachary Keaton of Pizza Bar”
7. “I reduced orange soda to a syrup, and whipped it into the frosting of an opera cake. I did this just so I could call it Fanta of the Opera.”
8. “I was wondering why the last table of my shift was taking so long to sign their receipt.”
Jerry Eisenberg is a television producer and animator known primarily for his work at Hanna-Barbera Productions and Ruby-Spears Productions.
9. “Co-worker’s brand new sunglasses fell off her head and into the fryer for a couple of seconds.”
10. “Was missing restaurant life, so ate pasta in quart container over the sink while standing up at home.”
11. “My sole purpose in life now is to hunt down anyone that messes up the plastic wrap and doesn’t fix it.”
12. “My Sous Chef asks me if I need a sharpie, I turn around to this.”
13. “Lost my job as a receptionist, got hired as a dishwasher to make ends meet. Today, during rush hour, the chef guided me into making these because he was swamped. I know it’s not much, but I’m proud. I’ve discovered a passion.”
14. “This is getting me through my second day back to work. Someone ate their sushi roll and sent back their board like this... thank you. (Medium: Eel sauce)”
15. “Can confirm: It’s still pretty annoying.”
16. “Believe it or not, the owner of my restaurant just cleaned the oven for me.”
17. “After 19 years in the industry, I finally pulled the trigger and got my pretentious forearm tattoo...”
18. “A local farmer supplies produce to our restaurant. He told me he had ‘some extra basil’ that he’d give me for free. Here I am at home now, about to make an unholy amount of pesto...”
What would you tell the chef at your favorite restaurant? Or, do you own a restaurant, and have you experienced similar things? Let us know in the comment section!