10 Ways to Add Volume to Your Hair By Using Products Right From Your Pantry
People have been using natural products as beauty treatments since ancient times. For example, there’s a tradition of hair-oiling that started in ancient India, and it’s still being practiced there to this day. It nourishes the hair, makes it stronger, thicker, and softer. And there are other products that can be used to make your hair look gorgeous. However, make sure you don’t have any food allergies or intolerances before you try out any of these masks. It’s also always a good idea to consult with your doctor first.
We at Bright Side think that, sometimes, our ancestors give really good advice. So here’re some hair mask recipes that won’t break your bank and that’ll hopefully bring positive results!
1. Egg whites
Eggs have a lot of protein, so eating eggs regularly can keep your hair healthy. Using eggs as a mask might also help prevent hair loss and hair breakage, repair damaged hair, and promote growth. You can apply egg whites on your hair alone or in combination with other ingredients.
- Take 2 eggs. Separate the egg whites from the yolks, you’ll need just the whites.
- Add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Whisk all the ingredients together and apply them to damp hair.
- Keep the mask on for 20 minutes and then wash it off with cool water.
2. Aloe vera
Aloe vera has been used for centuries because of the positive effects it can have on your health and appearance. It could be especially good for oily, curly, or brittle and dry hair. Aloe vera can moisturize your hair, and it might also make it stronger and reduce hair loss. Here’s how to use it as a mask:
- Take 2 tablespoons of aloe vera.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Mix the ingredients together and apply to your hair, starting at mid-shaft and going down from there. Then apply it to the scalp.
- Put on a shower cap and wrap a towel around your head, to prevent the mask from dripping and your hair from becoming dry.
- Keep the mask on for 30 minutes and then wash your hair.
Avocados have natural oils, healthy fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals that can nourish your hair and prevent it from breaking. It can be especially beneficial for dehydrated hair.
- Mash 1 avocado.
- Add 1 tablespoon of rosemary oil and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- In another bowl, whisk 1 egg yolk.
- Mix all the ingredients together and apply to your hair.
- Leave the mask on for 10 to 20 minutes, then wash your hair.
4. Coconut oil
Using coconut oil to treat hair can help moisturize your hair and reduce protein loss and breakage. When our hair gets wet and absorbs water, it can cause a structural change which makes hair easier to damage. You can apply coconut oil before you wash your hair, and it’ll prevent your hair from absorbing too much water. You can also apply it after you take a shower, which will make your hair softer and less likely to break.
- Take 1 or 2 bananas and mash them in a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Mix the ingredients together until they have an even texture.
- Apply the mixture to your hair and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Then wash it off.
Oatmeal contains a lot of fiber, which can moisturize your hair and promote its growth. It can also make your hair thicker. Here’s how you can make an oatmeal hair mask:
- Take 3 tablespoons of oats.
- Add 1/2 cup of milk, 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, and 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Mix it all together and apply it to your dry hair, also massaging the scalp.
- Keep the mask on for 30 minutes and then shampoo your hair.
Because of all the vitamins and minerals honey contains, and also because of its antioxidant properties, it can add moisture to dry hair, reduce hair breakage, and make hair healthier in general. To use it as a mask:
- Mix 1/2 cup of honey and 1/4 cup of olive oil in a bowl.
- Microwave the mixture for 20 seconds.
- Stir it once again and let it cool.
- Apply it to your hair with your fingers or a paintbrush, starting at the scalp and massaging it.
- Put on a shower cap and let the mask sit for 30 minutes. Then wash the mask off with shampoo.
8. Green tea
Green tea might reduce hair loss and promote hair growth. You can enjoy its antioxidant properties by drinking it, or using it as a hair rinse:
- Pour boiling water into a cup with 1-2 green tea bags.
- Allow it to steep for 5 minutes and wait until it’s warm or completely cool.
- Wash your hair and rinse it with green tea at the end of the shower.
9. Rice water
Rice water can make your hair stronger and repair damaged hair, while also protecting it from future damage. Here’s how you can make it:
- Rinse and strain 1 cup of rice.
- Put it in a bowl and add 1 cup of water. Mix it until the water becomes cloudy.
- Strain the rice, keeping the water.
- Let the rice water sit for 12 to 24 hours, which will allow the vitamins and minerals in it to come out.
- After you’ve washed your hair as you normally would, pour the rice water onto your hair.
- Let it sit for 2 to 5 minutes, then wash it off.
Applying milk to your hair can provide it with healthy vitamins and proteins and it can make your hair stronger and softer.
- Mix some milk, honey, strawberries, and bananas together.
- Apply the mixture with your hands or, if the consistency allows it, use a spray bottle.
- Keep it on for 20 to 30 minutes, then wash it off.
Do you prefer store-bought to DIY beauty products? Have you ever done similar masks? Were you happy with the results?