13 Accessories That Will Be a Perfect Addition to Your Gardening
Have you ever wondered why people love plants so much? Maybe it’s because we are free to show our love and emotions without any possible judgment. And while you might think that it’s hard caring for them, it’s actually pretty easy once you have the right devices. And we’ve gathered 12 tools that will definitely assist you in your efforts.
1. A face planter you can place it both indoors and outdoors. It is made of high-quality resin and has a drainage hole at the bottom. It will not crack or fade over time, and you can place two plants on the two separate spots. It’s perfectly okay if it gets exposed to rain and sun.
4.8 stars out of 5
The pot size is 6.7″ in height and 6.3″ in width. The opening diameter for the flower/plant pot is 3.2″ and for the succulent pot 2.4″. All face planters are hand-made and therefore may be errors while measuring. You can be creative with the planter by adding a scarf or even a necklace on it.
- She is perfect for my arrangement. I added a second drainage hole for her pot the quality is great cause there are two layers. I do love a removable drainage hole, so you can transport without dripping everywhere. One of my favorites for sure. @Heather McIntyre
2. A stand-up weed puller tool that features a long handle and doesn’t require you to bend over. The 4-claw design helps you pulls weeds from all soil types no matter if it is dry or really wet. However, keep in mind that it might not work very well on hard surfaces, like clay or rock.
4.5 stars out of 5
It is the perfect tool to control your weeds without spreading any harmful chemicals your kids or pets might also come in contact with. All you need to do is thrust the metal claw into the center of the weed and tilt the bamboo long handle to pry the weed out.
- This was an OMG moment. I’d had this sitting on my wishlist probably a year. Decided to get it and it’s amazing. I have a body that’s not working well any more making the gardening tasks I love into something I can hardly do. Pulling weeds have been out of the question. Enter Grandpa’s Weeder! No getting on your knees, no bending over, no aches and pains! It’s so easy to stand there, and it takes the weed right out.
Place on weed, push down easily with your foot, gently rock to the side and job done! Tools get the job done and this is a pleasure to work with. Great for seniors with arthritis. If you don’t have one already or a friend could use one, buy it now. It’s so nice to be out in the garden again!! @Dylan Blitz
3. Glow light lamps that are perfect for helping indoor plants growing faster and more efficiently. The LED lights feature 9 dimmable levels, with 80 red and 40 blue bulbs. You can set the timer for 3 hours, 9 hours or even 12 hours. The lights can be charged using the provided USB cable.
4.6 stars out of 5
The lights have 9 levels of intensity and 3 spectral modes (red, blue, and mixed light) to meet different stages of plant-growing needs. The 4-head light has a 360-degree flexible gooseneck made from quality tubing to keep a fixed position. The metal clamp allows the lamp to be placed anywhere in your home or office.
- You get what you pay for. This light now needs a new power supply as the one it came with stopped working about a year in. The timer is not customizable you basically just pick your time amount and turn it on and set for 3,6,12 hrs. It doesn’t always turn on or off on time. Also, these lights are okay to get a plant to flower, but they are just not bright enough for most plants, like cacti. @RavenousReader
4. Leaf scoops with excellent ergonomic design that help you rake your leaves with your hands. These claws are so big that you will manage to grab all the leaves in just a few efforts. They are also perfect for wet or dry grass, stinging nettles and other weeds.
4.6 stars out of 5
The design has made sure that you can easily store the claws once you’ve finished using them. You just fit them together and hand them or store them behind your garbage bags. There are also different sizes of claws for different types of work or suitable for kids to use.
- These are definitely helping me with my first fall of picking up leaves. My house is surrounded by many very tall oak trees. So not only do I have a TON of leaves, but I also have a ton of acorns. These come in SO handy while picking everything up.
I see others have said the same thing, but I too have issues with my wrists bruising and becoming very tender pretty quickly. I recommend a really sturdy pair of gloves that go up your arm a little bit. Maybe some jacket sleeves could help too, but I’m in Virginia where it’s fairly warm through most of the fall. I need to keep trying different things to pad my wrists and lower arms.
I still love these for doing a great job and being really sturdy! I can’t imagine breaking these at all, and they pick up a whole lot each grab. @Allie
5. A soil moisture meter that shows you how much water is in your plants and when it’s time to ’feed’ them. It doesn’t need batteries to operate, and it’s good to use on both indoor and outdoor plants. The tool doesn’t hurt the roots and doesn’t dig up a lot of soil after testing it.
4.4 stars out of 5
In order to use it, simply insert the meter into soil, and you’ll get the test result instantly. Do not use it to test very hard soil and also never use it to test water or other liquid. It is designed strictly for testing soil. After use, just wipe the probe to keep it clean.
- I have nearly 100 plants, and this has been a lifesaver in quickly determining which need water and which are good to go, especially since I use self watering planters, and it can take 3–4 weeks before some plants are ready to be watered again.
It’s not perfect by any means (no moisture meter is based on how they actually work) but it’s a great way to tell what ballpark the moisture level is at without just sticking a finger in the soil for every plant.
Highly recommend grabbing one of these, especially if you are new to plant care or have a large collection of plants. I haven’t overwatered a single plant since getting one! @John
6. A waterproof repotting mat that helps you treat your plants without creating a big mess. It is especially good for indoor use since the two copper buckles at the four corners prevent soil or water from splashing. The mat is stain-resistant and can be used again and again.
4.7 stars out of 5
You can use the mat not only to repot plants, but to also clean your vases or even your artwork. It can hold water and dirty splashes successfully. It is easy to scrub and clean, and can be easily folded when not used. It is very convenient for storage and does not take up space.
- This repotting mat is a lifesaver here in South Florida during the summer. It’s too hot to be outside so most gardeners limit or quit over the tropical/summer season. This made is feasible to do some small scale gardening indoors, even if it’s just repotting small plants. I could enjoy my hobby of gardening again even in the heat of the swampy humid summer. I highly recommend this repotting mat! @IrishRedMeg
7. The AeroGarden harvest is an indoor hydroponic gardening system that helps you grow your favorite vegetables and herbs all year round. It fits on your counter and features a water bowl at the bottom. Not only that, but it also has a LED light that helps plants grow up to 5 times faster than in soil.
4.6 stars out of 5
The deck of the AeroGarden can fit up to 6 different plants, with enough space for each one of them. The touch-sensitive illuminated control panel reminds you when to add water and plant food. You can buy the package with some herbs already planted, so you won’t have to do it yourself.
- I have been growing the herb plants that came with the aero garden. I have harvested 3 times already. I recently bought the lettuce pods, and I am going to see how the lettuce does. If the lettuce grows even half as good as the herbs then I will be so happy.
But, I have a feeling the lettuce is going to flourish like the herbs. I have not had one problem with this aero garden. Easy to assemble, maintain and clean. The light indicators remind you of when water is needed and plant food. Plant food is included w/ purchase. I recommend this product. @Kindle Customer
8. Adjustable green plant stakes that support your plants as they are growing taller. The package also includes rings that attach the stakes with the plant to keep them in place. The stakes are made of fiberglass, don’t break easily or get rusty. They can be used outside and won’t be bothered by rain or wind.
4.5 stars out of 5
You can choose between two practical sizes, 16 inches and 18 inches. Each size includes 19 pieces stakes and 19 pieces ring buckles. They are suitable for most potted plants, flowers, tomato seedlings and other small single stem plants. They can be hidden in the plant and therefore look more beautiful.
- I recently purchased the Plant Stakes, and they have proven to be quite effective for my gardening needs. While they worked well for most of my plants, I realize that for certain taller flowers, I might need longer stakes in the future.
These stakes are 18 inches in length and come in a set of 19. I bought them to support some flowers I got from Sam’s Club, but I can’t quite recall the flower type. Some of these flowers grew to over 3 feet and began to droop under the weight of their blooms. The stakes provided good support for most of the flowers, preventing them from drooping excessively.
One of the great features of these stakes is their adjustability. They come with rings that you can move up and down to customize the height of support for your plants. The green color of the stakes blends well with the foliage, making them less noticeable in the garden. @Anime Dad
9. The amaranth vase offers a super easy draining and also access to the stems. You just twist the bottom to remove it. You don’t have to remove the flowers from the vase every time you need to add water. The style of the vase is also very minimalistic and can fit nicely in any space.
4.6 out of 5 stars
The vase comes in 5 different colors, including white, black, mint green, pink and gray. Thanks to the high-resilient marble/plastic material, the vase will survive accidental drops and will not chip, crack or shatter like more glass vases would.
- I purchased both the larger blue version and the smaller white version. After a moment of puzzlement about how to open it, I figured out where to twist it and voilà! The vase came apart as promised. It’s a really great design and the vases are SOLID. I grow massive peonies in my garden — the flowers are the size of softballs, if not larger — and they are usually too heavy for my regular vases.
The Amaranth vases hold my giant peonies and every other type of flower very well, with no concern about tipping. The twist-apart feature is perfect for trimming the stems without making a mess, which allows the flowers to thrive for a much longer time in the vase. Highly recommend this vase for those who enjoy having fresh flowers around. It also makes a great gift for a friend or family member with a green thumb. @Jen G.
10. A lawn plugger tool that helps you remove weeds and plant bulbs without having to bend or kneel. You just step on it, twist it, pull it, and you’re ready to plant. You can dig holes quickly one after the other, while the soil gets stored inside the tool. To remove the soil, you just turn the plugger upside down.
4.6 stars out of 5
The depth rings included allow you to dig perfect planting holes at 2″, 4″ and when no depth ring is used, even 6″ deep. However, you should avoid digging in dry or overly saturated soil. It offers sturdy grips, making you feel comfortable working from a standing position.
- Maintaining a pristine Tifway Bermuda lawn is no small feat, and when it comes to addressing those pesky shady spots, I’ve found that the plug method with this tool is an absolute game-changer. Rather than introducing a different hybrid seed that might disrupt the uniformity of my lawn, I prefer to take plugs from the robust, well-established areas that thrive under my local growing conditions.
This ensures that the new growth is not only genetically compatible but also attuned to the specific nuances of my lawn’s environment. The tool’s ease of use is a welcome bonus, and its sturdy construction gives it a reassuring, reliable feel. It’s become an indispensable part of my lawn care arsenal, allowing me to maintain the lush, uniform expanse of my Tifway Bermuda lawn with precision and confidence. @Dr. B
11. A critter catcher that helps you grab any little insect that bothers you. Cockroaches, crickets, flies, moths, bees, scorpions and many others will be easily caught and taken out of your home. The bugs and insects will not be harmed, and you won’t come in direct contact with them.
4.1 out of 5 stars
The tool is 100% eco-friendly and chemical free and can be used by anyone, including kids and the elderly. It helps you keep a distance of 4+ feet from the critters, while the bristles are strong enough to hold the insects but not kill them. The easy handle lets you release them whenever you feel comfortable.
- GOT ’EM!! 2 days after I received my Critter Catcher I pressed it into action to catch a praying mantis. They kill hummingbirds and we have a hummingbird-friendly yard! You cannot engage in hand-to-hand combat with a praying mantis because they are MADE OF STEEL.
Since they lay in wait on the hummingbird feeder and in the vine on our courtyard wall where our pet hummingbird hangs, I NEEDED something for them (well, and truth be known, something for spiders too!).
So this morning a mantis JUMPED ON MY FACE — and after I screamed — I calmly got my Critter Catcher and roped him, and released him down the hill. He’s happy, I’m happy (at least until he comes back.) BEST GIFT IDEA EVER!!! @JB.LW
12. A plant life support watering system that is a fun and also much needed accessory. The 350ml IV bag helps you keep your plants hydrated without having to ask someone to water them. Small pots will have enough water for up to 7 days. You just add the bag to your plant and let it do its thing.
4 stars out of 5
This little tool will help you feel less guilty every time you have to leave for a few days and no one can visit your home to water the plants. It just keeps plants perfectly hydrated without overwatering or underwatering them. The IV bag itself is made of 100% recycled paper and can be recycles after using it.
- Let me start by saying that I love this product! I love that I can control the amount of water that comes out by using the gauge. This is a game changer and I will definitely be purchasing a few more for some of my thirsty plants!
However, there were some issues that I came across. The first issue is that the funnel used to fill the bag got stuck in the tube. I put it in its designated spot (all the way in) and it took me about 20 minutes to remove the funnel. It was frustrating to wrestle with it gently enough so that I didn’t tear the bag. Lesson learned: don’t put the funnel all the way in! It worked perfectly if I just put it in halfway.
The second issue is that the stick that holds the bag is so thin and lightweight that it barely supports the weight of the filled bag. I had to adjust the stick to get it at the right angle to balance the bag. But I didn’t like how low the bag hung (almost touching the soil) so I nixed the stick and hung it from a hook I had instead. @Noemy
13. Plant food spikes that is a great source of nutrients for your plants. They contain only natural ingredients and promote vibrant colors and lush foliage. You just need to feed the plants you want to see grow more once in spring and once in fall.
4.5 stars out of 5
These food spikes are also ideal for evergreens and acid loving plants. In order to use them, place the enclosed plastic cap on top of spike. If the ground is dry, wet before driving spikes. Drive spike into the ground around the tree or shrub following the drip line. Then continue to drive spike at least 2 inches below the surface.
- These work well for small to medium sized shrubs/trees. We use them around our crabapple and magnolia trees with good success. Has good instructions about where to place (drip line) and how many based on size. The little plastic caps are fairly flimsy so don’t expect them to last for the entire pack.
I would suggest making sure the ground is a bit softer if you intend to use the cap and to remove it before you drive it too far down and can’t get it off. If the ground is too hard, you may need to predict a small hole to ensure the spike and/or cap does break with hammering. Overall a good product with steady fertilizer release. @Wisco Fam
Whether you have 1 single plant or have turned your home into a small plant factory, keep them alive and well can be challenging. It’s not that they need much to thrive, but they do need the right products. From good-quality planters to a steady routine, plants can be pretty demanding.
Bright Side gets commissions for purchases made through the links in this post. Reviews could have been edited for length and clarity.