Feeding the Tamagotchi, collecting Lip Smackers and Pogs, recording playlists on CDs, wearing the T-shirt from your favorite music band, and making braided bracelets — ’90s kids, we’re all adults today. And looking at modern children, we often forget that our childhood was completely different, but no less fun and fascinating.
So, from time to time it’s pleasant to recall the things that created the magic of our ’90s childhood.
1. Legend said that the blue part could erase ink.
2. Kids today will never understand the struggle of having to hit a button 3 times just to get one letter.
3. Pencils with cartridges: You lose one of these — you`re screwed.
4. It was a thing to write your a’s and y’s like that!
5. Taking the ball out of the computer mouse
6. In the ’90s, Trix had shapes!
7. This is how dads used to choose music to listen to on the road.
8. “I kept all of my Lip Smacker lip gloss flavors in a plastic caboodle and whipped that box out like a pro to reapply after every lunch period.”
9. Back in the day, these cups were super cool!
10. Solitaire card backs on Windows ’95
11. Making these things
12. “These McDonald’s Potato Heads took me back to my childhood.”
13. The most ’90s thing ever
14. Cobain hair, check. Band shirt, check. Velvet shirt, check. Iconic Pepsi logo, check.
15. Abandoned McDonald’s on a remote Alaskan island
16. Any Pog-lovers out there?
17. Playing Polly Pocket
18. “Windbreakers! I remember scanning JCPenney catalogs for these things.”
19. We were all quite crafty.
20. “I peaked in the late ’90s.”
21. “People look at me like I’m crazy when I ask about these.”
22. A pair of these bad boys
23. Remember these?
24. “Playing this in Sears while my parents shopped”
25. Bashing ankles on a Skip-It
26. “The fidget spinner of my childhood”
27. You didn’t have to enter your personal info online to win a soda.
28. Sticking these to your earlobes
29. Finishing all the rings seemed like a huge accomplishment!
30. A Tamagotchi could replace a pet.
31. If you were born after the ’90s, you probably won’t understand the struggle.
32. Bubble Beeper: the cool way to store your gum in the ’90s
Please note: This article was updated in January 2023 to correct source material and factual inaccuracies.