14 People That Started the New Year in the Coolest Way Possible
Many people hope that the new year will finally change their lives. Some do a lot to make this happen: they go to the gym, they find a new job, or they end a bad relationship. And some people get incredibly surprised by life itself.
We at Bright Side want to share the stories of internet users whose new year started in such an unexpected way that one thing is clear: they started things on the right foot. And at the end of the article, there is a story from one of our readers proving that there’s always room for a few miracles in our lives.
- I remember before the New Year, I went to the mall to get presents for all my relatives, friends, and colleagues. All of it cost $250. The salesperson had a basket full of different discounts, told me I could choose one blindly and that it would reveal the size of the discount. I pulled out a 100% discount. If I had known before, I would have taken the entire store. Everyone was shocked. © “Podslushano” / Vk
- My wife and I had been trying to get pregnant for several years. Before the New Year, I made a wish to have a baby next year. And at 00:37, my wife gives me a gift box. Inside was a positive pregnancy test! She had a hard time keeping the secret. It took only 37 minutes for my wish to come true. It’s already the best year! © Oldnar / Pikabu
I was feeling down on December 31. It was my first time being single for a New Years’ since 2014 (going into 2015). My friends and I go to a pub and wait for a table. I feel a hand on my shoulder. An incredibly pretty woman comes up to me and loves my pointy Christmas hat and Christmas sweater. Then we separate. A few minutes later she beckons me to her table and says Merry Christmas and we talked for a bit. Our table is ready and I get called over. All I know about her is that we live in the same area. It was a highlight of the last 3 months and makes me confident in starting to date again, and that there’s essentially infinite women/fish in the sea. I’m not sure I’ll ever see her again, but either way, it’s a nice memory. © PM-ME-YOUR-STEAMKEYS / Reddit
- The thing was that during the last New Year, I was alone. I was lonely and bored and I had the strangest idea: I decided to call a random person. I changed just a few digits in my own phone number and called. A man with a nice voice answered and we talked the entire night. We spent this New Year’s together. © “Podslushano” / Vk
- 2021 started with me accepting the fact that I like myself. I like myself the way I am. Now I don’t want to change anything about myself or suppress anything. I like it. © EricMcCalvan / Twitter
- The entire 2020, I complained that I wasn’t reading enough, I was getting dumb, and didn’t read books at all. But in 2021, in just 10 days, I’ve already read 3 books. © twidade_Iucks / Twitter
- My husband and I wanted to get a kitten for a long time but we couldn’t choose: either it was the wrong color, or the eyes were not what we imagined. We love animals but something always stopped us. And one morning we were coming back home and saw a small fluffy kitten. We picked up the cat and brought it into the apartment. And it was as if he had been there 100 times already. Our cat found us.
- Right before the New Year, I saw my husband with another woman. I collected his stuff and he was out that same day. I was alone in my apartment on December 31st, when I got a text from an unknown number, “Hi! Happy New Year! How are you?” And when I realized who it was, I almost fell down. It was my first love. 8 years ago, we broke up over some nonsense. Then, I got married and he moved to a different town. And it turned out he had been having dreams about me for an entire month. He contacted me to check how I was doing. I told him I was getting divorced. He took the nearest flight to come see me. This is how my 2021 started.
- At 5 pm on December 31, I was digging in a dumpster looking for my favorite Christmas lights. I got them from my grandmother and my mom threw them away because she thought they were old. I’ve searched through 4 dumpsters, met 4 different people, some of them even tried to help me. I never found the lights but I did find $50. © “Podslushano” / Vk
- In the new year, I decided to get some routine check-ups and see different specialists. The gynecologist was the first. The doctor was male. I was in the chair and I was blushing. He was silent for a little while, then he looked at me and said mysteriously, “You have such a good uterus.” The tension was gone! I was smiling the entire day. Shame I can’t add it to my CV.
- For Christmas, I was going to go abroad with my friends. But I was too busy with college, I had nobody to leave my dog with, and something just didn’t feel right. So, I celebrated Christmas with my family, and 2 days later, I met the man of my dreams! My grandma is right, “If something stops you, there’s a reason why.” © “Podslushano” / Vk
- Something really nice happened to me right before the New Year. My husband and I don’t have a lot of money and we can only go to second-hand stores. So, I found a really nice jacket, decided to try it on, and found £100 in the pocket! © elekta36 / Pikabu
- I was celebrating the New Year with my boyfriend’s family. His mom gave me an ironing board and some cutlery saying, “I want to know that my son is never hungry and is always wearing nice clothes.” In the morning, when I realized how crazy that was, I decided to start the new year with a break-up. And something tells me this was one of the best decisions of my life.
- Yesterday, in a big mall, someone stole my bag with jeans inside — the old jeans I took off and put into the bag instead of the new ones I just bought. Thank you! © elenuwka13 / Pikabu
Bonus: Bright Side reader also shared a story
- It was 30 years ago, and it was a tough time. 2 days before the New Year and I had no money for presents or food. I was already preparing to tell the children that we could decorate the house with snowflakes made of paper, and that we would not have any meat on the table. I went to the grocery store. And they had some kind of a lottery going on there. I decided to try my luck. I wish you could have seen the faces of my kids when I came back home with so many sweets and other delicious foods! © Liudmila Karjalainen / Facebook
How did your new year start?