13 fitness items you will be thankful someone decided to create
We know, fitness is such a trending topic at the moment and everyone seems to be obsessed with it. It doesn’t mean that you should work out because someone is saying so, but because you really feel like it. And maybe these 11 products will help you get a new perspective on exercising and how simple it actually is.
1. A mini stepper with resistance bands that lets you do cardio right at home. This way you can engage your core, glutes, arms, and shoulders at the same time. The LCD monitor on the stepper helps you track your performance.
4.4 stars out of 5
With this machine you can track 20 core muscles and enhance the look of your upper body while doing a low-impact aerobics routine. The stepper promises not only a smooth and consistent stepping motion but also operates quietly, ensuring an undisturbed and peaceful exercise session.
Benefits: If you ever step goes all the way down, you can do 1000 in 20 minutes. If your steps go half the way down, you can do 2000 in 20 minutes.
Flaws: It would be best not to use on a carpet, since you might suffer a fall. It’s better to use it on a compact surface.
- I now have it in my office, and, I also purchased a Garmin Vivofit 4, to keep track of my steps and activity throughout my days, to get a sense of how much I’m doing, or not doing, and when I need to be more active to reach my goals. This handy stair stepper is exactly what I wanted — something small that easily fits in my office space, that is rigorous enough to get my heart pumping, but not so extreme that I need to take a shower afterwards or swap out my work attire for gym clothes.
This is most basic — two pedals, and a cord that goes around a tension wheel, just stand on it, and start stepping. It also has two light resistance fitness bands, so you can work out your arms in any way you choose. I was so out of shape that I had to back off the tension entirely, and just stepping while using the bands, for half a minute got me breathing hard! Sad, I know! It does have a little computer on it that keeps track of things, but, since it is rather limited and is down on the floor with the stepper, and not really so practical, I just use my fitness tracker to show my progress during use. @MD
2. A set of adjustable dumbbells that can be set from 5 to 52.5 pounds. You just select the weight you want with the turn of the dial. No need to have 15 different sets of dumbbells that take up so much space in your home.
4.8 stars out of 5
Depending on the weight you choose, you can do many different types of exercises, including shrugs, lunges, curls and raises. The company that produces the product also offers an app, where you can go to get free training and weightlifting programs.
Benefits: Many happy customers have mentioned how easy they are to use and how good the handles are. The instructions are also very nice, and a 2-year warranty is included as well.
Flaws: Each weight has two adjustments, one for each side and for some people this seems confusing and time-consuming.
- So, they’re weights, they’re accurately weighted, and they adjust as promised. But for me there is a lot of detail put into the design and aesthetic that made these worth the investment over more generic counterparts. I’ll just give some quick examples since with all the current reviews, and I’m sure many have already covered these main points somewhere.
The physical design is sleek and modern. So these look good in whichever room you choose for storage...not just in a dedicated gym area. The mechanisms for changing the weights feel smooth and solid. I like that they’re internally lubricated and so don’t require any maintenance to keep working well over time.
I also like the safety feature that you cannot adjust the weight without the dumbbell being in its cradle, so you don’t risk weights falling off during the process. Once you life a dumbbell from its cradle, the dial to change the weights ceases to function. @David Doria
3. Elastic sports tape that comes in 40 pre-cut strips that are 33 feet long in total. The tape is hypoallergenic and waterproof and if used correctly it can eliminate soft tissue swelling and pain, and support and stabilize muscles and joints.
4.4 stars out of 5
It is more convenient to use the kinesiology tape precut strips and the rounded edges keep the kinesiology tape in place more firmly. If it’s hard to remove the tape, you can apply some baby oil on top of the tape to help break down the adhesive.
Benefits: The adhesive on the tape is very strong and for some people it has lasted even for 2 whole days. It won’t go away even while swimming.
Flaws: Some people have noticed that the adhesive spreads while wearing the tape, and it’s quite hard to wash away.
- I’ve always been an avid user of KT, you’ll never see me without a box especially on trips. Lately though, I’ve felt that the quality has gotten faulty. My last couple boxes after wrapping my knee, it wouldn’t stay to the skin, roll up easily, and basically become useless once I put jeans on because of it unraveling.
Well, I have a trip coming up and know I needed some more KT tape but decided to see what Amazon had to offer instead of going to the stores, I came upon this brand. I ordered the purple and already in love with this product. I was having knee issues and this actually arrived just in time! I wrapped my knee upon getting this on Sunday, and it’s now Wednesday night, I’m still in the original tape!
It’s stayed stuck on my skin through sleep, workouts, showering, and has yet to unravel or roll up. Plus, you get double tape for the price of one box of the original KT tape. My knee has also recovered quicker with this brand. Definitely keeping to this from now on over KT. @Kayla
4. A fitness tracker that manages your stress and tracks your sleep and heart rate. It can operate smoothly in temperatures ranging from −4oF to 113oF. The battery lasts for 5 days of straight use without the need of charging daily.
4.3 stars out of 5
Every time you reach your fitness goals, the tracker buzzes and lets you know of your achievement. Also, the watch comes with a 6-month premium trial that lets you see even more details about your body and performance.
Benefits: The design is loved by most buyers and the fact that the tracker syncs up quickly is also very popular. The watch also notifies you when it feels that you need to be more active.
Flaws: Some people have had issues with the charger and their trackers weren’t charging properly. Also, sometimes you need to tap the screen a lot to wake it up.
- This watch has been amazing! It does everything I wanted it to do and as described. I love that it notifies me of text and allows me to read them. It notifies me when I should be more active!
Battery life has been great as well, I charged it 3 days ago, and it is still at 60% battery. Chargers superfast as well. Step tracker is super accurate, way more reliable than my phone. The small band is great! Just in love with this watch! I would but again, great purchase! @Christy A Black
5. Adjustable steel jump rope that lets you increase or decrease the length. The handles are covered with soft sponges and are super comfortable to hold. Also, they are made of non-slip material that keeps the palms dry.
4.5 stars out of 5
This jump rope is made of steel wires that are coated with strong PVC material, making it durable. It supports fast jumps while protecting you from any potential tangles. It doesn’t matter how tall or small you are, since anyone can use it, man, woman or child.
Benefits: The non-tangle material helps add an extra level of intensity. The rope also carries some weight which makes exercising a bit more stable and easy.
Flaws: One very tall customer noted that the length of the rope wasn’t enough for him. Someone else also noted that the rope itself could be a bit heavier.
- Got the two pack of these so my daughter and I could do jump rope workout things together as part of her training. As it turns out, they are a little short for me (I’m 6’4″) so I have a second one for her that she’ll be able to grow into. These will probably work best if you are 6’1"and under.
Actual quality of product is great. Strong wire core to the rope, and while cutting it to size for my daughter wasn’t the easiest thing to do, that’s a good thing in this case. Instructions on how to size the rope and adjust the length were well done and easy to follow. Looking forward to getting quite a bit of use out of this as she trains for the hockey season. @George H Heller IV
6. An extra thick fitness ball that is ideal for everyone and especially for pregnant women. There is premium slip prevention, which makes you feel safe when using it. Also, the ball deflates very slowly, thus reducing the risks of falling to the ground.
4.6 stars out of 5
You can use this ball at the office instead of a chair, and you will see your back pain go away and your posture improving. The product has been tested, and it can withstand up to 33 pounds. It is available in 5 sizes, 45cm 55cm 65cm 75cm and 85cm.
Benefits: It takes just 10 minutes to inflate the ball with the pump and comes with two extras, a plug and a plug removal tool. Also, it doesn’t have any unpleasant chemical smell.
Flaws: Some people saw their balls bursting out of the blue without any leaking first.
- These are THE BEST! I bought a couple others from another company/brand and had to send them back. I wanted a vibrant red (I thought I did) which is why I tried a couple other brands, even though I wanted this brand—and I should’ve just started here and saved myself the hassle of sending stuff back, ugh!
But, in the end, I have 2 beautiful and strong blue balls at either end of my massage table, and they are perfect! Just absolutely perfect! They were so easy to inflate, and plug, and use right away! Love, love, love! @Shaddock
7. A set of 5 exercise bands that help you add more resistance to your workouts. They are great for beginners and experienced people. They come in a bag, so you can carry them anywhere with you. Even physical therapists love using those on their patients.
4.5 stars out of 5
These stretching bands work for people suffering from knee, leg and back injuries. They can also be used by pregnant women who want to keep their bodies in shape. The bands are easy on the skin and come with a booklet that shows you many exercises and stretches you can do at home.
Benefits: Many customers say that they are very durable and keep their elasticity for many years. The price is also very affordable for the high quality offered.
Flaws: One customer mentioned that while wearing them and exercising, they can roll up your legs and start causing you discomfort.
- I work in the fitness industry as a personal trainer and coach and these bands are great! For the amount of use they get, they last and keep their resistance much longer than some other loop bands I’ve used in the past.
Almost every single one of my clients use them in their session and I train anywhere from 20 to 30 sessions a week! Plus, the price point is great and makes it affordable for me to buy a set for all my new clients to keep at home. Very great product and I will definitely buy again. @Annie
8. A friction defense stick that also includes aloe and helps you comfort your skin during exercising. It first moisturizes and then soothes skin. It is non-greasy, unscented and ideal for sensitive skin. It can be used before or after you finish exercising.
4.6 stars out of 5
You can apply this stick as many times as you want straight on the affected area. Some of its active ingredients are aloe leaf extract, ginger root extract and stearyl alcohol.
Benefits: The product has no smell and according to buyers it will last for an entire day. Many people saw their chafing issues disappearing after using daily while working out.
Flaws: It might feel painful if you keep adding new layers of the stick during the day, so it might be best to apply one good layer at the start of your day.
- I used to use a different brand when I was running a lot, but it’s gotten really expensive so decided to give this product a try not just because the cost was more reasonable but also because the reviews are awesome! I see now for myself why that is. There is no smell, easy to apply and lasts all day.
I live in the desert, for months at a time we get those 110+ days and I work outside a lot. This has helped with chafing tremendously, love you can use on feet, or any area where clothing rubs over and over again. My chafing issues are now gone, and I’ve stopped with the rashes. Definitely recommend this product! @BH
9. A high-density foam roller that is ideal for balance, strengthening, flexibility, and rehab exercises. It is very durable, and its material helps it keep its shape. It is very lightweight, and it will prove lifesaving when doing muscle recovery.
4.6 stars out of 5
The roller is 12×6 x 6 inches and wipes off very easily when you need to give it a good cleaning. It comes in 4 different lengths, starting from 12 inches and reaching the maximum at 36 inches. It weighs only 0.56 pounds.
Benefits: According to buyers, it is very comfortable and rolling on it goes very smoothly. People who suffered from stiffness saw a big improvement after using the roller.
Flaws: One woman mentioned that it felt a bit too hard on her skinny back. It might feel a bit too sturdy to lay on it with your back.
- Was recovering from body stiffness and soreness and first couple tries were pretty intense since my body didn’t feel ready for it, but I noticed afterwards I was feeling a lot better thru the day, so I’ve continued with it. The price was right, and the quality is there. It does leave little Styrofoam spheres around the place but if you need a good sturdy foam roller, this one should do the trick. @Joe Walsh
10. A set of 2 yoga blocks that are soft, supportive and most importantly non-slip. They are denser than standard EVA blocks. They provide stability and balance that is needed while practicing yoga and meditation.
4.8 stars out of 5
You can use them under your hands, feet, or seat during meditation to ensure the proper alignment needed for support and modifying poses to suit your level of flexibility. It is recommended to wash them with a mild detergent and then allowing them to air dry.
Benefits: Many customers say that their durability has made so many exercises easier. One man is even using them in his ruck sack, stacking over 30 pounds of bricks on them.
Flaws: One customer said that they can sometimes slip along the mat. Someone else noticed that his hands leave imprints on the blocks.
- These yoga blocks do exactly what they are supposed to do. They are lightweight yet sturdy. They have been immensely helpful as I am participating in a daily stretching program. I initially questioned whether these were necessary or would be of any real value, but my skepticism has now vanished.
They have made many stretches so much easier to perform, and really help with stability. Great purchase — and great value for the money. They easily tuck away when I’m not using them. @Carol C.
11. An extra thick yoga mat that features a strap for easily carrying it with you. It comes in many vibrant colors and can be used in all types of exercise. The thickness of the mats makes your knees feel a lot more comfortable standing on them.
4.6 stars out of 5
The mats are 72 inches long and 24 inches wide and weigh 3.11 pounds. The textured ridges help increase traction and stability. They are so easily folded and stored thanks to the strap that you won’t see them unrolling.
Benefits: Many buyers are really happy with how thick and spongey these are and how good of a grip they have. Also, people seem to adore the vibrant colors that make exercising much more positive.
Flaws: A few people have had issues with the arrival of their product, stating that the mats arrived damaged due to poor storing conditions.
- I recently replaced my old yoga mat with this one, and I couldn’t be happier. The color is not only visually appealing but also adds a touch of positivity to my practice. More importantly, it has been a welcome relief for my sore back, providing the support and comfort I need during my exercise sessions.
The built-in strap makes it incredibly easy to carry, and it’s surprisingly firm yet lightweight, striking the perfect balance between stability and portability. Overall, this mat has rejuvenated my work-out time, and I highly recommend it to anyone in need of a reliable and comfortable yoga mat. @topbook
12. Thick high waist leggings with pockets, you can wear pretty much during all types of exercise. They offer tummy control and won’t slide down. They are moisture-absorbing and offer both compression and support. They also minimize rubbing and chaffing.
4.4 stars out of 5
The nylon fabric has a more natural feeling than polyester, which makes it perfect for everyday wear. These leggings can also act as comfortable shapewear that keep you hugged in and looking slim. The hidden inner pocket makes them even more convenient. It is advised to only handwash them.
Benefits: Many customers rave about how comfortable these leggings are and how roomy the pockets are even for large phones. They are not too tight or too loose, but just perfectly hugging your body.
Flaws: Some people noticed that not all patterns and colors have the exact same material. And one person mentioned that the solid black ones attract all of the pet hair.
- These pants had me at “hello” (or should I say “slide into these comfy leggings”?). From the moment I put them on, I felt like I was one step closer to becoming a fitness guru. I mean, who wouldn’t be, right?
First of all, the high waist — it’s like a warm, reassuring hug for my tummy. The kind of hug you wish your aunt gave, instead of those suffocating ones. These yoga pants have got my midsection under control, and it’s a beautiful thing. No more tummy jiggles while doing downward dog!
But wait, there’s more! The pockets! Oh, the pockets! I can finally carry my phone, keys, and a snack (hey, post-workout munchies are real) without a backpack. And they’re deep enough that I’m not worried about my phone going on an adventure without me.
The fabric is thick and not see-through, which is a blessing because I don’t need anyone seeing my superhero undies in the gym. @Rickey
13. A sweat band for intense training that helps you sweat more and trim your waist. The band features an anti-slip, moisture-repelling interior that provides heat insulation to increase core temperature and therefore help you increase the intensity of your training.
4.7 stars out of 5
The band is made to accommodate all body types. It can be washed in the machine and the velcro closure adjusts to your body’s unique figure. You can make your experience even better by adding the same brand’s gel to your routine.
Benefits: Many buyers have noted how great the quality is and how much their sweat production has increased. Even during short workouts, they are amazed at how much they sweat.
Flaws: One customer had trouble keeping the band on, since it would burst open quite often. For some other buyers, it was also not tight enough on their body.
- It has not only helped me tone my abdominal area and reduce fat, but it also serves as excellent insulation during nighttime use. I wear it at night to maintain warmth around my belly, which has resulted in fewer nighttime bathroom trips, as my lower back and internal organs remain snug. Additionally, I find it beneficial for providing extra back support when sitting or driving. This product is truly remarkable, and I couldn’t be more satisfied! @Grace. Isu
Going to the gym isn’t always the best choice for everyone and many people choose to exercise at home. It’s not only about exercising, but also about treating the affected areas after a hard routine. Maybe we all need to have certain equipment at home regardless of whether we visit the gym or not.
Bright Side gets commissions for purchases made through the links in this post. Reviews may have been edited for length and clarity.