15+ Peculiar Facts That’ll Level Up Your Brain Power
Learning something new every day has never been easier than it is today. We really can get an express course in biology, linguistics, or any other science just in a couple of minutes. And we do it with gusto, enjoying every new piece of knowledge we get.
We at Bright Side have collected some truly amazing short facts that will make you a little smarter in the blink of the eye.
- Nearly half of the bottled water we drink is not from the natural spring found on the label, but rather from municipal water. They just filter it. Which actually we could do ourselves to save the planet from all those never-ending floods of plastic bottles.
- Dolphins are the ones that sleep with the proverbial “one eye open.”
- When choosing their partner, seahorses may court for several days, swimming side-by-side holding tails.
- Sea otters have little pockets under each of their forearms. So they can store food for later in them.
- Only 8 percent of the world’s currency exists as physical cash. The rest exists only in electronic bank accounts around the world.
- Elephants are very romantic creatures. Showing their affection, they cuddle and intertwine their trunks, just like people holding hands. And usually, they keep lifetime relationships with their significant other.
- Rats are as ticklish as humans. Tummy-tickling sets them off the most and they giggle just like a baby. Though you need special equipment to hear their voices.
- The pygmy marmoset is the smallest and the cutest monkey in the world. Its length is 4.6 to 6.2 inches (12 to 16 centimeters) and its tail is about twice its body length.
- Crabs have teeth in their stomachs. And those don’t just crush food for further digestion but they also generate noises that ward off predators.
- A group of jellyfish is called a “smack.”
- Squirrels kiss when they meet an unfamiliar squirrel, by pressing their noses together. But they don’t do it for romantic purposes. Squirrels have scent glands around their mouths that produce unique secretions. This scent allows them to identify close relatives.
- Your body has enough iron in it to forge a 1-inch long (2.5 cm) metal nail.
- Without our pinky finger, we would lose about 50% of our hand strength. Just try to close your fist as hard as possible with and without this finger and see for yourself.
- The starfish has eyes at the ends of its arms.
- Turritopsis dohrnii is a species of jellyfish that is capable of living forever. They’ve even been called the “immortal jellyfish.”
- Once upon a time, there was a baby born with a lifetime travel card. Don’t worry, it was just a child born on board the aircraft of an Indian airline. They were so happy, they allowed the kid to fly free of charge an unlimited number of times on their flights.
Which fact has surprised you the most in your life? Which one was the hardest one to believe? Why? Please share your stories with us all. Let’s discover some new amazing knowledge together!