17 Spouses Who Filed for Divorce and Changed Their Lives
Marriage is often seen as a lifelong commitment. When people get married, they promise to stay with each other until the end. However, sometimes they find out that they made a wrong choice and picked an incompatible partner. In this article, we will explore the moment when they come to this realization and how they cope with the changes in their lives.
- We were getting dressed for a friend’s wedding. I was in the best shape of my life at the time, feeling good about myself, and I thought I looked good in that suit. She was finishing her makeup and I remarked at how beautiful she looked. I waited for her to say something nice in reply, but she didn’t. And it just hit me.
I couldn’t remember a single time that she complimented me on my appearance. So I said that to her. I said, “You know, I always tell you how beautiful you are, and how attracted to you I am, but I never recall you ever saying that I look good or that I look handsome.” She stopped applying her mascara long enough to roll her eyes at me.
So I made the mistake of asking her, “Do you even find me attractive?” And she flatly said, “No.” I asked, “Why did you marry me then?” And she said, “I didn’t think it was important at the time.” I never felt so ugly and unloved. And it hurt even more when I had been feeling so good about myself for once in my life 30 seconds earlier.
I am currently dating the most beautiful woman I’ve ever met in real life — I finally found someone who makes me feel loved like I’ve always wanted to. © Seandouglasmcardle / Reddit
- My mother tells that when she returned from the hospital with me, my older sister was wearing a diaper that hadn’t been changed in days and the house was a mess. Before even asking to see the new baby, father asked what was for dinner. It took her a few years to get out, but she knew at that moment it was over. © pahasapapapa / Reddit
- When I had been on mandatory bedrest and caring for our infant son, after having emergency surgery, he came home from work and looked me dead in the face and said, “Why aren’t the dishes done?” Hightailed it out of there 2 weeks later. Now I have a new partner and we have a very happy blended family. © Neverinfocus / Reddit
- When she was getting ready to go to the pub and I called her to say the car had broken down, and I was stuck 7 miles from home. She said she couldn’t help. We had 2 cars. We split 2 months later.
It turned out there was a guy at the pub she was “getting to know”. After we split they dated for a few months, then she came back 8 months after we split begging for another go at the marriage, but I’d already started dating my now wife. © gaz8600 / Reddit
- I realized early on he wasn’t right for me, but we had 3 kids, so I stayed. We had been married for 19 years but the nail that made me leave was when I asked him why I never heard him say, “I love you” to the kids while they were growing up. My ex replied that our children hadn’t EARNED his love, and that shook my whole foundation. I was literally speechless for 2 days. © Far-Phone8791/ Reddit
- When we had an argument and instead of resolving it as adults, he ran to his mom. And went back with his mom in tow, who was angrily explaining to me his side. © MapFit5567 / Reddit
- I realized it on the wedding day... She spent a fortune on unnecessary things, and I knew I’d be the one fitting the bill on the credit card she ran up. So I told her no more, she said she wanted an ice cream vendor there (we already had two dessert bars) and told her it was not needed.
She fought me on it but finally agreed. Wedding day comes, I’m standing with my groomsmen, in comes the ice cream truck. Knew right then, sadly. Our marriage lasted for 3 years; I should say, I tried. I’m more than fine now. © StrangeJitsu / Reddit
- I realized it when she sat me down and with a straight face said, “I’ve thought about this, and you’re not going to exercise anymore.” I was jogging a few miles a day and would usually bring kids with in a running stroller. She said you’re a father and it’s too time-consuming.
That’s when I realized I made a terrible mistake. Later I caught her with another man in my car and we divorced. Luckily and most importantly I got two AMAZING kids out of it. © JD054 / Reddit
- It was actually almost immediately after getting married. Our relationship had taken a nose dive as soon as we moved in together. But after we got married, while we were in Greece on our honeymoon, he absolutely lost his mind on me in public.
I had wanted to go see a beach on the island that is supposed to be one of the most beautiful in the world, so we tried to catch the bus, but it never came. He screamed at me, telling me he hated traveling with me and how could I ruin his vacation like this.
Then we walked to the beach nearby, and he went swimming with his two friends who he insisted come with us on the trip. I was too stunned and humiliated to do anything except sit on a beach chair and cry. Yes, he is absolutely my ex-husband. © gridironbuffalo / Reddit
- I was exhausted from taking care of our newborn by myself and told him I couldn’t do it by myself anymore and instead of offering to pitch in and help he suggested we put the baby up for adoption. I left him. © angiebenz / Reddit
- When our child was three months old, and I had the absolute worst case of mastitis. I was so weak I couldn’t even pick up the baby. I asked him to please stay home from work and help me. He told me to call my mum, then left for work.
I stuck it out for another 4 years, through various other scenarios similar to this one, but finally found the courage to leave. The moment I asked for a divorce I felt the weight of the world lift off my shoulders. © the_serpent_queen / Reddit
- When I cried multiple times per week instead of 2–3 times per year. © Individualchaotin / Reddit
- I was depressed because my grandfather was my best friend, and he died, so I was in a bad place. Instead of supporting me he basically told me I was broken in and not worth the emotional support I needed to deal with such an important loss in my life. That was the last straw that broke the camel’s back. The divorce cost me a bit but in the end was worth it to not be with a man who would not offer support during a bad time. © dk573 / Reddit
- 6 months after our wedding when I found out about the emotional (he says only emotional, but I’m pretty sure it was physical too) affair through text messages. He had sent his affair partner screenshots of my texts to him in which I was begging him to talk to me and tell me what was wrong.
They both proceeded to make fun of my desperation to fix my marriage and his affair partner said something along the lines of “Poor valiant, she doesn’t know anything and keeps begging you for attention and affection.” The moment I read those words I realized how big of a mistake I had made. I’m happily remarried now. © Valiantlycaustic / Reddit
- The first wife, I had inklings that I might not have married the right person when I was working full time (making very good pay) and she decided to quit her job and just sat at home on her butt. We had a maid come every week to clean the house top to bottom, do the laundry and all the dishes — and the house was still a hellhole 6 days a week. If dinner was made at all when I got home from work it was hamburger helper or a microwaved hot dog wiener and blue box macaroni and cheese.
It really became clear when I caught her cheating. Her exact words to a friend, “My husband’s an angel, but I’m bored.” The second wife, I realized multiple times, over and over, that I married exactly the right person for me. © Grizzled**** / Reddit
- He didn’t mention me in his speech at our wedding. He thanked everyone else, commented on the bridesmaids, and talked about our daughters. I may as well not have even been there.
The first night of our honeymoon I got horrendously sick, and he left me alone in our room to go watch something on the big screen on the beach. So much for sickness and health! © LBelle0101 / Reddit
- After 9 years of marriage and 2 kids, he decided to have an affair with a coworker. Then didn’t want to get divorced because it would make him look bad and ruin his reputation. Karma has come for him, now he is with her and is miserable. © StormBetter9266 / Reddit
There are many reasons why it’s better to walk away than to stay in an unhealthy marriage.