20+ Photos That Show What Happens to Things If You Take Good Care of Them
The timeless beauty of a 112-year-old wedding dress, the formidable strength of an 82-year-old car, and the undying vitality of a 130-year-old stove... These and many more of the short but powerful stories we’ll show you below will prove to you that some things are imperishable as long as we don’t neglect them or treat them poorly.
This list, compiled by Bright Side, is an ode to all the things that have withstood the test of time.
1. “I got this Timberland backpack when I came to the US in 2001. 18 years later and it’s still going strong.”
2. Mr. Allen Swift, who lived to be 102 years old, owned & drove the same car for 82 years: a 1928 Rolls-Royce Piccadilly P1 Roadster.
3. “This photo is of my mother and I in 1977 in ‘West’ Germany and another by myself in 2014 in New Jersey with the same wicker ‘Queen’s Chair.’ The chair is mine now.”
4. “It’s about 130 years old. The model is out of production, but equivalents are available.”
5. “My late grandmother’s 1950s Dormeyer Silver Star is the only kitchen aid I need.”
6. “My old toy car survived 7 kids and is still rolling after 35 years.”
7. “This is a leather backpack my grandfather bought me for school in 1991. I promised him I’d keep it forever.”
8. “This is my grandpa’s gold plated DE razor from the 40s that I inherited. 25 years later I’m here, cleaned it up, and threw a new razor in.”
9. “Still hungry for dust 40+ years later.”
10. “This is my grandparents’ Toastmaster (1956). They’ve both since passed away, but the toaster keeps toasting.”
11. “I recently inherited my Grandad’s 1969 Omega Chronostop.”
12. “My dad’s Sony Trinitron [late 60s] is still going strong, with the Atari 2600 Woody.”
13. “Here’s my mom’s denim jacket from Spain in 1982. I get compliments on this all the time.”
14. “This is a 1960s David Douglas Pyrex percolator with the original stovetop protector, and all its original parts. It brews a perfect 8 cup pot in 5 minutes.”
15. “My 1957 Leica M3 — it’s still working perfectly after 61 years.”
16. “My mom’s Guess jeans purchased ~1985 are my favorite pair.”
17. “Here’s my 1969 Raleigh Sports bicycle. They’re still widely available used and will last forever with minimal care.”
18. “Mid-60s BMW motorcycles are remarkably solid, simple machines. This one is as smooth, solid, and responsive as the day it rolled out of the showroom.”
19. This Transformers tent is at least 33 years old.
20. “I’m not one to hold onto things, but this was a good purchase! 21 years later...”
21. This bride was the 11th person in her family to wear a 120-year-old heirloom wedding dress.
Do you own timeless objects like these ones? Go ahead and share them with us in the comment section, we’d love to honor them with you!
Preview photo credit Courtney Cox / Instagram