4 Ways You Can Check If Your Hair Is Healthy and How to Treat It Properly
Our hair can withstand a strain of 3.5 ounces and can stretch up to 30% longer when it’s wet. However, only healthy hair has such superpowers — damaged strands will break rather easily. You may not be able to identify the condition of your hair at first glance. But there are simple ways to check this and take action to get it back in shape.
We at Bright Side are always here with useful tips, and this time, we found out exactly what you need to do to maintain healthier hair.
1. Follicle test
To understand if your hair is healthy overall and that hair loss is something you don’t have to worry about, you need to check your roots first. Just do this:
- Pluck one strand of hair but make sure to grip it as close to your head as possible to have the root still attached to the hair.
- Examine the follicle. The normal root end of a strand should be bulb-shaped, so if you see this, your hair is healthy. If it’s puny or without any bulb shape at all, your hair is weak and needs care.
How to prevent hair loss:
2. Sink test
This one measures how porous your hair is. Healthy hair is rather solid while damaged hair absorbs liquid quickly. To perform the test, do the following:
- Pluck a few strands of your hair from different parts of your head, like the top, the back, and from each side.
- Drop the strands into a glass of water. Completely healthy strands will float, relatively healthy ones will go down a bit, and damaged ones will sink entirely.
How to treat hair with high porosity:
3. Tug test
This test is aimed to check the elasticity of your hair. It can be done with these simple steps:
- Carefully pull out a strand of hair.
- Pull it gently at both ends. If it stretches and bounces back when you let it go, it’s healthy. If it breaks easily, it’s rather weak.
How to get your hair elasticity back:
4. Porosity test
With this test, you can determine the condition of your hair cuticle to see if it’s damaged or not. You need to do the following:
- Clamp a hair strand between your index and middle fingers.
- Slide it through your fingers, from the top to the root. If it feels rough and uneven, your hair is damaged. If it feels smooth, it’s healthy.
How to treat damaged hair:
What are your tips for hair care?