20 Gripping Facts That’ll Make You Jump Out of Your Chair
Some facts might sound fake, but they turn out to be true. Like how giant tarantulas keep tiny frogs as their pets and how mammoths were alive when the Pyramids of Giza were built.
From weird facts about animals to insane info about the universe and everything else around us, these pieces of information Bright Side collected have the potential to blow your mind.
1. Our blood contains hemoglobin, a protein that has 4 iron atoms in its structure. Iron is only naturally produced in one place: the core of a dying star.
2. In Switzerland, it’s illegal to own just one guinea pig. If you have any, you have to have at least 2. They get lonely!
3. Cleopatra lived closer in time to the first iPhone than the great pyramids.
4. Making pennies costs more than they are worth.
5. The selfie wasn’t created by millennials. The world’s first selfie was taken in 1839, by Robert Cornelius.
6. Butterflies taste with their feet.
7. Rats laugh when they’re tickled.
8. Giant tarantulas keep tiny frogs as pets.
9. “Shemomechama” is a Georgian word meaning “I accidentally ate the whole thing.”
10. Almonds and Peaches belong to the same family, though they’re different species.
11. The late actress Betty White was older than sliced bread.
12. The longest time between 2 twins being born is 90 days.
13. Human teeth are just as strong as shark teeth.
14. The hashtag (#) symbol isn’t actually called a hashtag. It’s called an “octothorpe.”
15. Birds can not only see more colors than they have in their plumage, but they also see colors that are invisible to humans.
16. The biggest whales eat between 20-50 million calories per day — the same as 70-80 thousand Big Macs.
17. Less time separates us from the Tyrannosaurus rex than separated the T. rex from the Stegosaurus.
18. There is a jellyfish that can live forever. Every time it starts to age past its peak, it reverts to an adolescent phase and restarts.
19. Mammoths were still alive when the Pyramids were being built.
20. Food manufacturers deliberately make chip bags noisy in order to subconsciously convince you that the chips taste good.
Which fact impressed you the most? We’re always thrilled to learn more about the world we live in so, please, if you have any more interesting pieces of information, share them with us in the comments!