20+ Gripping Facts That Can Make You Jump Out of Your Chair
Some facts might sound fake, but they turn out to be true. Like how giant tarantulas keep tiny frogs as their pets and mammoths were alive when the Great Pyramids of Giza were built.
From weird facts about animals to insane info about the universe and everything else around us, these pieces of information Bright Side collected have the potential to blow your mind.
1. Our blood contains hemoglobin, a protein that has 4 iron atoms in its structure. Iron is only naturally produced in one place: the core of a dying star.
2. In Switzerland, it’s illegal to own just one guinea pig. If you have any, you have to have at least 2. They get lonely!
3. Cleopatra (30 BC) lived closer in time to the first iPhone (2008) than the great pyramids (2560 BC).
4. Making pennies costs more than they are worth.
5. The selfie wasn’t created by millennials. The world’s first selfie was taken in 1893, by Robert Cornelius.
6. Butterflies taste with their feet.
7. Rats laugh when they’re tickled.
8. Giant tarantulas keep tiny frogs as pets.
9. “Shemomechama” is a Georgian word meaning “I accidentally ate the whole thing.”
10. Almonds are part of the peach family.
11. Famous actress Betty White (97) is older than sliced bread.
12. The longest time between 2 twins being born is 87 days.
13. Human teeth are just as strong as shark teeth.
14. The hashtag (#) symbol isn’t actually called a hashtag. It’s called an “octothorpe.”
15. Cows moo in regional accents.
16. Birds can not only see more colors than they have in their plumage, but they also see colors that are invisible to humans.
17. Whales swallow half a million calories in a single mouthful.
18. Less time separates us from the Tyrannosaurus rex than separated the T. rex from the Stegosaurus.
19. There is a jellyfish that can live forever. Every time it starts to age past its peak, it reverts to an adolescent phase and restarts.
20. Mammoths were still alive when the Great Pyramid at Giza was being built.
21. Food manufacturers deliberately make chip bags noisy in order to subconsciously convince you that the chips taste good.
Which fact impressed you the most? We’re always thrilled to learn more about the world we live in so, please, if you have any more interesting pieces of information, share them with us in the comments!
Preview photo credit depositphotos.com